- 2 teaspoons ghee or avocado oil
- 1 shallot or ½ medium onion, chopped
- ½ pound bulk mild Italian sausage*
- 8 large leaves of Tuscan or curly kale, stems removed, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups Uncle Steve’s Organic Arrabiata (or any organic pasta sauce)
- ½ cup water
- 4 large eggs
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- Heat the ghee in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until somewhat softened. Raise the heat to medium-high and add the sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the meat with a spatula, until the sausage is browned and cooked through. If desired, take some sausage out at this point and reserve it to sprinkle on top before serving. Reduce the heat to medium, add the kale, and cook, stirring constantly, just until wilted.
- Pour in the arrabiata sauce and water and stir. Use a spoon to create four little wells in the sauce, and carefully crack an egg into each one. Cover the skillet and cook until the eggs are done to your liking. If you prefer runny yolks, start checking your eggs after three minutes and remove the pan from the heat when the whites are just set. Sprinkle with reserved sausage if you took some out earlier. Sprinkle the eggs with salt and black pepper, top with chopped parsley, and serve hot.
NOTES*You can use any bulk sausage you like, or buy uncooked sausage links and remove the casings. Check the ingredients in your sausage carefully if you’re doing a Whole30 to make sure there are no off-plan ingredients like sugar.