A new way to enjoy your evening cup of hot tea, this recipe uses chunks of Chaga mushrooms, and spices like ginger, to add a skin-protecting factor.
- 1 quart filtered water
- 4 chaga mushroom chunks
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 inch ginger or 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 5 whole cloves or 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 3 cardamom pods or 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 star anise or 1/4 tsp ground star anise
- ½ Tbsp black peppercorns or 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp stevia
- Splash of nut milk
- Place the water and chaga into a large pot along with spices if using whole spices.
- Increase the heat to low and simmer gently for at least 30 minutes. It is really important that you do not boil, the hot temperature can corrupt the active ingredients in chaga mushrooms. If you would like a stronger brew, continue to gently heat for up to 10 hours, adding spices for the last 30 minutes.
- Once brewed, remove the chaga mushroom chunks and store in the freezer. You can use them again up to 5 times as long as the brew is still a dark coffee like color. If you used whole spices, remove and discard them. If you are using ground spices, add them now with the stevia.
- Enjoy hot or chilled with a splash of nut milk. Store in the fridge for up to 14 days.